Eli Cohen is a partner at Gornitzky & Co.
Eli specializes in litigation and complex commercial legal proceedings, including arbitration, mediation and other ADR procedures.
Eli Leads an international litigation and arbitration practice and has vast experience in litigating complex cross-border cases in international arbitral institutions such as the ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and others, as well as in all Israeli instances, including the Israeli Supreme Court, and before Israel’s prominent arbitrators and mediators.
Eli represents some of the largest public and private commercial corporations operating in Israel, governmental entities and municipalities, as well as senior officers, private investors and leading businessmen.
Eli is well experienced in a wide range of legal matters and specializes in construction, renewable energy, gas & oil, infrastructure, securities, privet equity, venture funds, telecoms, BOT/PPP tenders, real estate and shareholders disputes and he is well regarded by local and global clients and counterparties.
According to Legal 500, sources say that the “efficiency and dedication’ with which the firm approaches ICC arbitration makes it ‘a match for any international law firm’.
Eli acts as the Vice Chairman of the Litigation Committee Bar Association.
Notable recent representations include:
- Successfully acted for shareholders of an international cosmetics company in a shareholder dispute involving ICC arbitration process in which clients ultimately were awarded with over US$50 million compensation;
- Successfully acted for a major construction company at an ICC arbitration pertaining to the construction of the largest private power plant in Israel in which clients ultimately were awarded with a US$20 million award;
- Acting for one of Israel’s largest renewable energy companies on a multiparty, multijurisdictional dispute where complex local and international LCIA arbitration agreements are in force;
- Acting for one of the world’s largest mineral mining companies in a EURO 80 million dispute under the UNCITRAL rules pertaining to a power plant construction agreement.
- Successfully dismissing an application to approve an approximately NIS 4 billion derivative action against a major satellite communication company.
- Successfully acted for a NIS 10 billion tender participant for the construction and operation of IDF training camps;
- Acted for a leading European corporations in a NIS 4 billion tender regarding the light rail systems in Tel-Aviv;
- Successfully representing foreign corporations in winning bids for the construction and operation of the light rail tunnels tender, totaling in approximately NIS 3 billion; construction and operation of the Israeli Police national training center, totaling in approximately NIS 2 billion, amongst others.
- Representation of a kibbutzs in an estimated several billions NIS with Keren the Jewish National Fund and the Israel Land Administration over the ownership of approximately 1,500 acres of land.
- Representation in an approximately NIS 200 million legal dispute regarding a transaction relating to land on which the IKEA Israeli branch is located.