Pinhas Rubin is the Chairman and the Senior Partner at Gornitzky & Co.
He is considered by the Israeli financial press to be a "key position" holder and was listed therein as one of the people who will "open any door for you". Since 2002, The Marker Magazine has repeatedly identified him as one of the 100 most influential people in the Israeli economy, and leading international legal guides named him "a super lawyer" and "the best lawyer in Israel".
Mr. Rubin sets himself apart from other legal practitioners, who specialize in one specific field, with his unique interdisciplinary approach: He is regarded as a reputable expert in the numerous fields in which he regularly practices, especially in the areas of corporate law, tax, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, trusts and estates, litigation and dispute resolution, white collar crime, class actions and derivative suits. In addition, Mr. Rubin lectures on a variety of legal topics at Israel's finest academic institutions.
Acting across a broad range of legal practices, Mr. Rubin is extensively involved in Israel’s most significant transactions and legal disputes. Mr. Rubin has the utmost respect for his clients' privacy and therefore clients remain anonymous in notable representations that include:
- Assisting Israel’s largest commercial groups and banks in their tax issues and tax disputes;
- Involvement in tax matters on behalf of leading international telecommunications companies, financial service providers, and banking institutions in Israel;
- Representation and counsel to foreign trusts and their beneficiaries regarding trust laws and related tax matters;
- Representation of affluent Israeli families in their legal matters, as well as legal and tax advice to high net worth individuals who qualify for a tax holiday upon their immigration to Israel;
- Mergers, acquisitions and re-organizations of leading Israeli companies, including Israel’s largest energy companies;
- Structuring a three-way merger of three publicly-traded Israeli insurance companies;
- Structuring a merger between Israel’s two largest food manufacturers;
- Acting on behalf of Israel’s largest banks in mergers and acquisitions;
- Representation of Israel’s largest bank, in its share offering by prospectus ("GDR") to accredited foreign investors;
- Representation of Israel’s largest companies in IPOs on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange;
- Representation of high profile corporate leaders in defense of white collar crimes;
- Litigation in class actions and derivative suits on behalf of leading industrial and commercial companies in the Israeli economy, such as banks, insurance companies and the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange;
- Acting on behalf of US and Israeli investors in the acquisition of a controlling interest in Israel’s largest bank;
- Ongoing representation of Israel’s largest banks in their various corporate and tax issues;
- Advising and litigating on behalf of Israel’s leading insurance companies on various corporate, tax and commercial matters;
- Advising Israel's largest business groups with regard to the recommendations of the Committee on Increasing Competitiveness in the Economy (the "Concentration Committee");
- Representation of the CEO of a leading international public company, traded both in the US and Israel, in an appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court regarding an alleged criminal tax violation, in which the decision of the district court was overturned;
- Representation of Israel's Ministry of Finance and three former finance ministers in the governmental investigation committee regarding the collapse of bank securities on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange;
- Representation of a significant private shareholder in the sale of his interest in one of Israel’s largest insurance companies;
- Serving as the liquidator of a large international insurance company, including devising a liquidation plan and negotiating an arrangement with international creditors;
- Representation of Israel's leading gas companies before the Committee to Examine the Fiscal Policy on Oil and Gas Resources in Israel (the "Sheshinski Committee");
- Representation of one of Israel’s leading commercial families in their personal and commercial affairs, including their purchase of significant interests in banking and insurance companies.
- Representation of the Israeli Ambassador to a significant foreign country, formerly the president of one of Israel's leading universities, in certain settlements with the authorities and his defense before the High Court of Justice in his appeal on the preclusion of his appointment as Israel's ambassador.
- Representation of a controlling shareholder in a public company suspected of committing several inside trading offenses, in which he was acquitted of all charges.
LL.B., Tel Aviv University (1972)
1973, Israel Bar Association
- Member of the National Advisory Committee on Reform of the Israeli Court System that was established by the Minister of Justice and the Chief Justice of the Israeli Supreme Court
- Chairman of the Israel Bar Association's Taxation Committee (1985-1999)
- Member of the National Committee on Reform of Taxation, a committee appointed by the Minister of Finance, and that applied principles of international taxation on the Israeli taxation system (known as the "Rabinovitz Committee") (2002)
Mr. Rubin is a columnist in 'Globes', one of Israel's leading financial newspapers. Among the numerous articles published by him:
- Many Households are Headed Down the Drain
- Disruption of Corporate Democracy
- Pyramids Under Attack
- Between the Tents protest and the Bonds Protest
- The Three Year Trap for Controlling Shareholders
- Dividend for a Leveraged Buyout
- Public Humiliation
- A Judge's Rhetoric
- The Fashion of Class Action
- My Backyard is My Fortress
- The Regulator Caprice
- Ignorance of the Law Excuses No One
- Extortion In the Law
- Every Regulator is a King
- Preemptive Action
- The Redemption of Bonds
Throughout the years, Mr. Rubin has lectured on tax, business and commercial law in Tel Aviv University's Faculty of Law and School of Business Administration and in the Israel Bar Association's Continuing Legal Education for Judges and State's Attorneys, as well as at annual law, accounting and business conferences.
Hebrew and English
Chambers Global 2015 identified Pinhas Rubin as a Band 1 lawyer in the fields of Corporate/M&A ("Praised as a lawyer with wide-ranging expertise who 'is sharp and has finesse'. He has experience of both domestic and cross-border M&A."), Dispute Resolution ("a 'top-level' litigator, whose expertise extends to negotiations, investigations and court work.") and Tax ("Unanimously regarded as a standout tax lawyer. His tax expertise is complemented by skills in corporate, banking and disputes matters.").
He was also recommended as a leading lawyer in the field of Banking & Finance who "is known for his experience and knowledge" among clients. Peers were also full of praise, saying, "He is smart and knows how to negotiate."
IFLR1000 2015 identified Pinhas Rubin as a Leading lawyer in the fields of Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and M&A.
The Legal 500 2014 ranked Pinhas Rubin as a Leading Individual in the fields of Corporate and M&A, Dispute Resolution and Tax, while also recognizing his "formidable reputation" as a recommended lawyer in the field of Competition.
Chambers Global 2014 ranked Pinhas Rubin a Band 1 lawyer in the fields of Corporate/M&A ("The 'multi-talented' Pinhas Rubin enjoys an outstanding reputation with the firm's international clients. 'With a wide range of expertise he helps solve all the problems'."), Dispute Resolution ("An eminent lawyer of outstanding quality and a fine litigator" who is "particularly noted for his interdisciplinary approach and expertise across numerous fields.") and Tax ("an established reputation in the market and is consistently singled out by market sources for his litigation expertise" and "in court he is a powerhouse.").
He was also recommended in the field of Banking & Finance as "an eminent lawyer of outstanding qualities in his work" and coined "a highly influential figure in the banking and finance market, with a wide-ranging skill set that is valued by a variety of major clients."
Clients were quoted saying, "He is considered among the best professionals in the country - we sleep tight when he handles one of our legal issues."
Best Lawyers International 2014 identified Mr. Rubin as a leading lawyer in multiple areas of practice, including Arbitration & Mediation, Banking, Corporate, Litigation, M&A and Tax law.
IFLR1000 2014 identified Pinhas Rubin as a Leading lawyer in the fields of Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and M&A, saying, "Universally accepted as one of Israel's best transactional lawyers, Pinhas Rubin is...vastly experienced, highly praised and well connected."
The Legal 500 2013 recognized the "highly regarded" Pinhas Rubin as a Leading lawyer in the fields of Corporate and M&A, Dispute Resolution and Tax.
The Maariv newspaper labeled Pinhas Rubin one of Israel's most elite White Collar Crime lawyers, noting his impressive performance in court and ability to bring forth results, in addition to their recognition of Mr. Rubin as the top Tax lawyer in Israel.
Chambers Global 2013 ranked Pinhas Rubin a Band 1 lawyer in the fields of Tax ("Widely recognised as one of the top tax lawyers in the country," and described by sources as "an excellent lawyer and all-round business adviser."), Corporate/M&A ("Pinhas Rubin is 'terrific - a really good lawyer.' He has a towering reputation for his commercial nous, and advises some of the top names in the Israeli economy.") and Dispute Resolution ("The highly esteemed Pinhas Rubin is 'a top litigator,' whose diverse skill set includes valuable knowledge of white-collar crime proceedings."). He was also recommended in the field of Banking & Finance and coined a "Market icon," in addition to being praised for his wide variety of legal experience and significant banking and finance expertise.
Mr. Rubin was identified by Citywealth Legal Guide for Private Wealth Management 2013 as a leading lawyer in the field of Private Clients.
IFLR1000 2013 named Mr. Rubin a Leading lawyer saying, "The entire market recognises Pinhas Rubin as one of the nig names in the market."
Who's Who Legal 2013 selected Mr. Rubin as one of the of the world's leading lawyers in the field of Mergers and Acquisitions.
Mr. Rubin was voted by the guide as one of Israel's six leading Merger & Acquisition lawyers.
Mr. Rubin was also identified as a leading lawyer in the field of Merger & Acquisition in 2012.
Legal Experts EMEA 2013 recommended Pinhas Rubin as a leading lawyer in the fields of practice of Corporate and M&A, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Dispute Resolution, Competition and Tax.
Mr. Rubin has been consistently recommended in these fields since 2004.
Expert Guides 2012 identified Mr. Rubin as one of Israel's leading lawyers in the fields of Litigation and White Collar Crime.
Mr. Rubin has been consistently been recognized by Expert Guides as one Israel's leading lawyers in these fields, as well as others, since 2008.
In a survey of all of Israel's leading lawyers, conducted by the Maariv newspaper, Mr. Pinhas Rubin was the only one to be chosen as one of the best lawyers in two categories: Tax and White Collar Crime.
For the first time ever by an international legal guide, PLC Which Lawyer? ranked Israeli firms in the area of Corporate crime, fraud and investigations, naming the firm's chairman, Mr. Pinhas Rubin, a Recommended corporate crime lawyer.
The Legal 500 2012 recommended Pinhas Rubin as a Leading lawyer in the fields of Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution and Tax.
Chambers Global 2012 named Pinhas Rubin a Band 1 lawyer in the fields of Tax ("one of the leading tax lawyers in Israel," and praised for his "veteran expert knowledge"), Corporate/M&A ("one of Israel's most prominent and highly respected lawyers") and Dispute Resolution ("Litigation is one of Pinhas Rubin's many talents, and he is regarded as a key asset for the firm, 'He's one of the dominant litigators in Israel.'"). He was also recommended in the field of Banking & Finance ("Pinhas Rubin has a truly heavyweight reputation for his finance and tax expertise.").
Who's Who Legal 2012 selected Mr. Rubin as one of the of the world's leading lawyers in the fields of Business Crime Defence, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Corporate Tax.
Mr. Rubin was voted by the guide as one of Israel's top 2 Business Crime Defence lawyers, one of the top 7 Israeli M&A lawyers, and one of Israel's 3 leading Corporate Tax lawyers.
Mr. Rubin was also identified as a leading lawyer in the field of Business Crime Defence in 2008 and 2009.
IFLR1000 2012 named Mr. Rubin a Leading lawyer and quoted a competitor saying, "He's probably the best lawyer in Israel."
Best Lawyers International 2012 identified Mr. Rubin as a leading lawyer in multiple areas of practice - including Arbitration & Mediation, Corporate, Litigation (White Collar Criminal Defense), M&A and Tax - naming him "Lawyer of the Year" in the field of Corporate law.
Legal Experts EMEA 2012 recommended Pinhas Rubin as a leading lawyer in the fields of practice of Corporate and M&A, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Dispute Resolution, Competition and Tax.
Mr. Rubin has been consistently recommended in these fields since 2004.
The Legal 500 2011 named Mr. Rubin a "super lawyer" and "a first class lawyer."
The Legal 500 also recognized Mr. Rubin as a recommended lawyer in the areas of Banking & Finance and Competition while naming him a Leading Individual in the areas of Tax, Corporate/M&A and Dispute Resolution.
Chambers Global 2011 named Adv. Rubin a Band 1 lawyer in the fields of Tax ("one of the finest tax lawyers in Israel... Clients say they 'consult him on very large or complex issues'"), Corporate/M&A ("an eminent lawyer who advises many of Israel’s largest corporations") and Dispute Resolution ("an 'outstanding lawyer' and a 'leading figure in dispute resolution, particularly with regard to class actions.' He has 'great expertise in white-collar crime litigation'"). He was also recommended as a leading lawyer in the field of Banking & Finance ("Pinhas Rubin's experience and expertise attract considerable respect from peers and clients alike").
IFLR 1000 2011 named Pinhas Rubin one of Israel's leading lawyers, quoting a rival saying, "Rubin is a mover and shaker."
Who's Who Legal 2011 selected Mr. Rubin as one of the of the world's leading Corporate Tax lawyers. Mr. Rubin was identified as a leading lawyer in the Corporate Tax field of practice in the year 2008 as well.
Expert Guides 2008-2011 identified Mr. Rubin as one of Israel's leading lawyers in the fields of practice of Litigation, Tax, Mergers and Acquisitions and White Collar Crime
Tax Directors Handbook 2010 identified Mr. Rubin as one of Israel's leading taxation lawyers and as a recognized authority on Tax
PLC Which Lawyer? 2009 identified Mr. Rubin as leading in the Tax field of practice ("Chairman of the firm. Has a very broad international and domestic practice, focusing on large and complex tax matters including tax litigation, and is regarded as a leading tax lawyer in Israel"), as highly recommended in the Dispute Resolution field of practice ("Handles large cases including class actions, security and tax disputes") as recommended in the Corporate- M&A field of practice ("Practice is wide in scope covering day to day coprorate advice and M&A strategic deal assistance to capital markets and white-collar crime"), and as recommended in the Restructuring & Insolvency field of practice ("Court-appointed trustee with experience in corporate restructuring").
Chambers Global 2009 chose Mr. Rubin as a leading lawyer in the fields of practice of Banking & Finance ("a tremendously clever, well-established figure"), Corproate/M&A ("at the top of the Israeli legal profession"), Dispute Resolution ("incredible stature") and Tax ("a superstar – undisputedly one of Israel’s leading lawyers").
Legal Experts EMEA 2008 identified Mr. Rubin as a leading lawyer in the following practice areas: Corporate and Commercial, Banking and Finance, Litigation and Arbitration and Tax.
Mr. Rubin has been consistently recommended in these fields since 2004.
IFLR 1000 2008 named Pinhas Rubin as one of Israel's leading lawyers, saying he is "A Midas lawyer who is larger than life."
Best Lawyers International identified Mr. Rubin as one of Israel's leading lawyers in the fields of Arbitration and Mediation, Corporate Law, Litigation, Mergers & Acquisitions and Tax.